I follow a blog called A Holy Experience … lots of really good, remembering-what-matters-in-life, let’s-get-perspective-and-focus-on-Jesus Truth! Not too long ago she posted a list of 10 points of Joyful Parenting. I really like them … the are great reminders of really what matters in a day as oppose to getting caught up in the daily grind, how annoyed I am or how annoying others are!
Honestly, when I first read this I thought “I really like this list. … There is no way I’m going to be able to do all these today!” It very quickly turned into ‘oh my gosh, why am I not already doing all these things anyway?!’ Luckily, God was gracious and I stopped myself right there and realized the encouragement this provided; just a gentle reminder of things I can do to turn my days around into better ones.
I hope you find it the same way. Gentle reminders … ways we can improve or change a bad day, a bad attitude, a bad focus …
Here’s your 10 Points of Joyful Parenting:
1. Today, I will make our home a house of prayer. I will pray at set times. And I will invite our children to come move into an interior space that lives with God.
2. Today, I will transfigure all things into beauty, and I will refuse to see anything else.
3. Today, I will not have any emergencies. There are no emergencies! Only amateurs hurry.
4. Today, when stress mounts, I pray to dismount it with gratitude. My stress management plan will be intervention with verbal thanks. I can only feel one feeling at a time, and I choose to give thanks at all times. Fight feeling with feeling!
5. Today, I will pray to speak words that are only STRONG words, words that make these children feel strong. Grace words. Grace is the only non-toxic air. All other words I breathe are death words.
6. Today, I will pray to be consistently consistent. I will create safe rhythms that our children can find security in. I will create daily ceremonies because everyday we are CELEBRATING the gift of now!
7. Today, the moment when I am most repelled by a child’s behavior, that is my sign to draw the very closest to that child.
8. Today, I will hug each of my children as many times as I serve them meals — because children’s hearts feed on touch. I’ll look for as many opportunities to touch my children today as possible — the taller they are, the more so.
9. Today, my priorities will be all Things Unseen.
10. Today, I will laugh! And I will let the little children laugh! I will create a culture of JOY!
Be gracious with yourself, friend, and know you can create the change that can be of great benefit to your family!