The ‘I Wants’

Do you ever get the ‘I wants’?  I want a new dress … just a little black one … ya know to wear, well, anywhere really.  You can wear a little black dress anywhere.  I can also get a cute cardigan to go with it.  It is cold outside now-a-days and that’s a really cute one. My ‘I wants’ tend to turn into ‘I needs’…  Oh, and I do need some new black socks, and blue ones.  I could use another pair of yoga pants.  These are how old?! Oh, that’s cute.  I could use black shoes to go with my black dress.  And  all this while I’m looking at the Target Weekly Ad online.   (By the way, I almost didn’t link it because I don’t want you to do thru the same thing I just did when you see their little black dress on sale for only $20.  But I feel like a bad blogger if I don’t accurately ‘link’ when I can.)  Don’t you just hate the ‘I wants’?  They make you feel like everything you have is old and out dated and you’re not up to date unless you get the new ‘thing’ or new style.  And to think … I did it all to myself; inside my little head.

That’s why it’s so good to be surrounded by like-minded people.  Nooo, not people who will indulge in the ‘I wants’ with me and convince me to actually go by the dress I don’t need, but with people who can admit that they do that too and it often just leads to spending unnecessarily and that we all need help in pulling in the ‘spending reigns’ here and there.  Especially when I’m coming out of the buying frenzy that takes place in November and December as we get ready for Christmas.  I’m still detoxing from that.  🙂

Every year my husband and I go over our family budget.  What works? What doesn’t?  We took a pay cut a few years ago to start the church he currently pastors, North Village Church.  That, on top of a few years of no pay increase and ever-increasing expenses that come with houses, taxes and kiddos lends us to make a few budgetary changes!!!  It’s nice to have friends who make a conscious effort to stay on budget and spend wisely.  Encouragement is always better than thinking you’re all alone out there in your efforts.  We were never meant to be alone in it.

A friend of ours in California thinks the same way.  He just started a company that encourages you to pay off debt.  Payoff.com is going to create an online community where you can be around other people who are excited about paying off debt!  In fact, they’ll even reward you for getting out of debt.  How great is that?  Go check out payoff.com and get some encouragement in your efforts to live debt free.

Advertisements

8 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Amanda McKinley
    Jan 12, 2011 @ 15:18:20

I SO struggle with this, even starting to think “I DESERVE that.” Oh goodness. Especially when all the stores make things so pretty and attractive (isn’t that all part of their strategy to get us to buy – ha!). I pray that we would be reminded of what our TRUE need is – for Jesus to fulfill us, in a way that material things never will. Thanks for the great reminder, Holly!

• Holly Dennis
      Jan 14, 2011 @ 17:32:17

Amanda … I just LOVE that you are so honest and authentic. Thank you for sharing when you understand about something. That is really kind and so nice to know you’re not the only one out there struggling in something!!!

2. Kendra/The Queen of Brussels Sprouts
    Jan 12, 2011 @ 15:33:39

I am Scrooge, or so my college room-mate decided. She would take me on shopping trips because she knew I would talk her out of buying things she didn’t absolutely “need”.

We are working very hard to get out of debt as well. In today’s economy, I really feel debt is a scary thing.

3. Michael Flores
    Jan 12, 2011 @ 15:36:26

Wow! This is awesome timing for me. I have just recently been able to start purchasing things I really need, but also moving to a point were I can buy things I been putting off. Just this week I got a much needed eye exam, and opted to try contacts. So now I can wear sunglasses!!! Still, I need to make sure I am not making unwise impulse buys as income frees up a little this year. I do feel better about a purchase when I find something on clearance, and I am getting better at waiting for bigger buys. Asking myself if I really need it or can I live without it helps!
    Thanks for the encouragement, and perspective!

• Holly Dennis
      Jan 14, 2011 @ 17:30:42

Oh, that is hard, Michael. When you do have money to get the things you need, but not going overboard, or even keeping in perspective what you really do ‘need’. I’ll pray with you about that!!!

4. Kira @ Kissing the Joy
    Jan 16, 2011 @ 23:32:08

I so get this. My dad used to always tell me to “turn my wanter off.” My problem is being incredibly impulsive in my buying. Instead of carefully thinking about and planning what I really want and/or need, I tend to spend all my “blow money” on things that in hindsight were not that important. *sigh*

Luckily, my husband is NOT that way and he is in charge of our money. His super-budgeting skills have allowed us to become debt free, except for our house. That Payoff site sounds awesome! It’s great to be supported and encouraged as you make decisions that seem “weird” to everyone around you. Not having so many monthly payments is awesome, but it’s still just as important to budget wisely. Thanks for a great reminder today, Holly!

5. Trackback: Oh my goodness … WHERE in the world have you been?! « Mom's Encouraging Mom's