Comfort Zone

I am so excited to  be stepping out of my comfort zone  this fall and following what I feel the Holy Spirit is leading me to do.  Do you find it hard to do that?  I really do since I tend to have a more introverted nature until I get to know someone.  My friends think I am just crazy when I tell them of my shyness in new situations, because after I get to know someone-there really isn’t a shy bone in my body:):)  Although I have found great joy in mentoring young single women, moms and wives for years, I have neverdone this in a group situation.  The tug on my heart was too strong this year to ignore, although it has been there for two years already…I know, I am very slow to respond-wish I were not that way, but I am.  I am going to be a leader in our MOMs group at church this year.  It didn’t sound like too big of a commitment, that is until I started going to the leader’s meetings.  It does seem more involved now, but the Lord is so good to not tell me what He is leading me into sometimes:):)  I have a super fantastic group of young mothers I will be leading and hopefully pointing them more and more towards God.  We are going to be studying a book by Elizabeth George called, “Loving God with All Your Mind.”find it here.  I have only read and studied the first three chapters so far, but it looks amazing.  The book deals with  how we as women tend to run our lives on what we think or feel…our emotions.  That can really mess with our minds and a lot of times lead us into a spiraling state of depressing and dark thoughts, that then affects how we view ourselves.  This book deals with focusing our minds on the truth of scripture and what God has to say about who we are.  So anytime we might be tempted to think that we are not good enough, or smart enough, or look right, or that no one will accept us, …whatever our thoughts and feelings might be.  We just need to focus on some of the truths about who God says we are; I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps. 139:14); He has a plan and purpose for my life (2Tim 1:9);He has gifted me in a way that can benefit others no matter how I feel about myself (1Cor 12-7-11); I am loved and accepted by God no matter what (Romans 8:35); I am forgiven even if I don’t feel like it (I John 1:9).  So instead of playing mind games in the future, I will do my best to corral my thoughts, choose to think on what is true and look to God through prayer and His Word, . My comfort zone may be stretching this year, but at least I know who controls what happens in that zone!

Advertisements

6 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Kendra/The Queen of Brussels Sprouts
    Sep 02, 2010 @ 12:34:06

How I wish I lived closer and could be in your group! That sounds like a fantastic study. Our church doesn’t have a mentoring program, and I really wish they did.

2. ginicraven
    Sep 02, 2010 @ 16:34:34

I wish you were here too-that would be a fun time!

3. Jennifer Snelllings
    Sep 06, 2010 @ 14:04:22

What a blessing you will be to the MOMs group! I have been involved in MOPS/MOMs ministries since I was pregnant with Savannah 7 years ago and I can’t even begin to express what a gift that ministry has been to me! Being a mom is the hardest, yet most amazingly rewarding job I’ve ever had!! You are going to love leading that special group of ladies and they are so lucky to have you!!! I also LOVE Elizabeth George and have read as many of her books as I’ve been able to get my hands on! Loving God With All Of Your Mind is one of my favorites!! 🙂

Thanks for sharing your life on this blog! I enjoy reading it so much!!

• 'gini
      Sep 06, 2010 @ 14:12:12

Oh my goodness, Jennifer-how great to hear from you. I was so shocked when I saw that you replied!!! I guess I feel like Holly and I are just mainly writing back and forth to each other!! Thanks for the encouragement. I am super excited to do this, and you are so right, being a Mom is one of the most rewarding and challenging jobs ever. God gave us a big work to do didn’t He? Being a grand mother is just plain fun too!!

4. Christy
    Sep 11, 2010 @ 17:05:25

Oh, Gini, how I completely agree with Jennifer!!! I would not be the wife/mom/woman I am today without your compassionate and wise guidance. 🙂

5. 'gini
    Sep 11, 2010 @ 20:55:48

You know how much I love you Christy-Thanks for the encouragement.