Green Thumbs

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Just have to do a little bragging on the main guy in my life.  I do thank God he was born with a green thumb, because I was not…now I must say I have learned a lot from him, but these pictures are a testament to his green thumb and consistent care of our yard.  I am sure he inherited this “thumb” because the picture above of the enormous fern basket has a great story behind it.  Can you believe that it is at least 110 years old????Our fern is a piece of an original fern given to his grandmother when she married at the ripe old age of 14:):) by her father, a nurseryman .  As the fern has grown, his family has sliced it up, literally like you would a pie, and given pieces away.  In our family alone, our daughter has a piece and Dick’s aunt and cousin have a piece.  The rest of the pictures are of our yard and plants from this spring and summer.  We are trying our hand at a garden this year too and will have to keep you posted on any success we have there.  The hummingbird is there just because I love to feed and watch them-of course I know that plants attract them too.  I am always amazed at Dick’s dedication to fertilize, use the right potting mixes and water daily, and I am soooo glad that I get to enjoy the beauty of God’s creation in my own yard:):)

Advertisements

6 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Kendra/The Queen of Brussels Sprouts
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 15:25:40

My main man has the green thumb in our family as well! We have a deal. He grows it, I either enjoy it (flowers) or cook it (veggies)!

You, however, have a much better eye with the camera. I am afraid God gifted me with ZERO artisitc talents. My 7 year old takes better pictures than me.

• Holly Dennis
      Jul 28, 2010 @ 06:12:56

Kendra,

Thank you for the comment. I’m Holly, the daughter 🙂 My mom has forwarded many of your blogs to me over the years and I’ve loved reading them. Thanks for reading ours and I look forward to continuing to learn from one another! Being a Mom is hard and encouragement helps SO much. 🙂

2. Holly Dennis
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 17:39:07

T saw the fern and said ‘That’s Mammies House!!!’ 🙂 I’m glad he knows your house by the fern!!!

3. Kira
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 18:37:12

Wow, that fern is something ELSE! I just adore things that have so much history, and a fern older than anybody living is pretty awesome.

Gini, I just wanted to tell you how much your comment on my blog blessed me. Thank you for taking the time to do that, because YES, I honestly did think no one read it, and you totally caught me off guard, heehee.

I put you girls on my Google reader list. Blessings on your blogging journey!

4. Michael Dennis
    Jul 27, 2010 @ 22:49:08

that hummingbird picture was really cool. i thought it was a fake picture because it looked too real to be true!!!

• ginicraven
      Jul 28, 2010 @ 09:36:07

I used the “up-close lens” (don’t you love that i don’t even know the name of it) and shot it from the office window!